Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 21, 2020

COVID-19

Self-quarantine is much like having a forced pajama day.  Those of us living with a chronic illness are familiar with loneness.  After all, that is all that is how most of our days are lived.  However, that does not make us exempt from feeling isolated.  We are now faced with fears of our illness in a time of crisis.  We have been forced to become experts in preventing symptoms from escalating, and we know how to get ahold of our care team to mitigate our diseases from exacerbation.  So, what do we do when we are faced with the possibility of a flare under a strained health system?  Our physicians may not be available as readily as they once were. What are you doing to care for yourself during this time? Do you have a plan in place for today's healthcare climate? Tell me what you are doing, and how you are coping? 
For me, I value my online rare disease family. I am grateful to see patients reaching out to other patients for support.  I believe as we are practicing prevention from acquiring COVID, we need to practice self-care now more than ever.  Being at high risk means becoming creative in our emotional and physical health.  I highly recommend reading those books you have meant to read... always too many books and not enough time to read. We have been given time to reflect and think about what matters in this life.  Use this time wisely, go for a walk outside, bring out those sketchbooks, or have a home spa day.  Meditate, practice gratitude, and living in the present.  Take the time to make that phone call to your family and friends.  This is a time for growth and building resiliency. 
I look forward to the day I can connect again with my FMD family and give each of you a gentle hug. For now, virtual hugs until we see each other again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment